RE: Help! TR-6 engine vibration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Help! TR-6 engine vibration
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo V. Kral)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 13:08:48 -0600 (CST)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
My apologies to the group about so many messages on the same subject,  but to
remedy a mistake I made in an earlier note:

   I was hoping that someone can help me diagnose a vibration in my '71 TR6.
It only becomes noticeable at 3500rpm+,  and it feels like the same
amplitude/frequency that you would get from a very bad u-joint.  I don't know
if this problem has occurred a

I'm sure it an engine vibration because if I let the car out of gear but keep
the engine revved at highway speeds,  the vibration DOES NOT go away.

   Here's what I'm thinking so far:
exhaust system hitting the frame (unlikely)
loose mounts??
a miss at higher rpm due to ??? ( I hope)
something loose in the engine (I hope not)

Could someone let me know what they think the most logical approach to solving
the problem is,  or possible solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Milo Kral
Applied and Engineering Sciences