Re: triumph reliabilty

To: Coupons69@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: triumph reliabilty
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 21:08:33 -0500
I have driven TR's as daily transportation for most of the last 20 years,
only giving up when the 3 kids started to need to be 3 places at one time and
both parents need to be able to handle a crew of family and freinds.  With
normal maintenance, I found my TR6's to be better and more reliable than the
2 Toyota Celicas, S10 Blazer and Grand Am and Safari Van.  This was due
mostly to the fact that only I fix the 6, and some incompetant, by the hour
mechanic screws up the daily transport whenever work is needed. With the 6,
all the important parts are replaced when needed by a caring, loving owner,
who knows that Quinten Hazel parts are worse than dog-s--t. I had one 6 from
1977 through 1993. It was totalled and rebuilt before I bought it, totalled
again (parked in front of my girlfriend-now TR tolerant wife's house)and
rebuilt by me, and was taken out a third time (backed into by a truck) or I'd
still be driving it. I put well over 100,000 miles on it and it broke down 3
times. Once the fuel pump "fell apart" on the highway. This was so long ago
that I was actually driving home from spring break in Daytona Beach and
somewhere in VA. I found all the parts and out it back together under the
watchful eye of a TR owning State Trooper and drove away. The second was
worse, the pinion gear shearded and left me needing a tow in CT on the way to
a picnic. I had just sold the spare from my TR250/TRee. The third time, a
thick stick got thrown up into the fan on the highway and chewed up the
radiator. With smoke billowing out, I made it to a gas station, cooled it
down and refilled what was available for a run to WalMart.  A little of that
Radiator Majic epoxy crap and I was on my way again. That repair held until
the truck. Interestingly, the car totalled both times on Christmas Eve.  Both
times I came out pretty well with insurance dollars and bought back the
wreck. It's a parts car now, with parts in at least 4 local cars from our
club. Moral of the story? If you drive it daily, you'll work out all the
kinks.  If it's your only transportation it will happen faster. Only problem
is door dings and bird crap!
Bob in Austin

BTW I lived in NY until 1984, and drove in rain, sleet or snow.  I lived at
the bottom of a dead end hill, which the 6 could climb in snow (Vredisteen
205-70-15's) while the Celica wimpered in the garage.