FW: triumph reliabilty

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: triumph reliabilty
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 06 Nov 1996 09:13:03 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 011343280C71F022-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <011343280C71F022*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
On Wed. Philip E. Barnes wrote:

[snip]  Looked at another way, a TR6 makes no sense as daily transportation
if all you want to do is get to work. If, on the other hand, you desire to
get your hands dirty and gain some sense of accomplishment in a new hobby,
it is a perfect choice. There
are older cars which are as sporty and colorful that are much more difficult
to live with as far as maintenance and parts availability and cost.
(Porsches and Alfas come to mind.) I say buy the car and stay tuned to the
list for any help you'll need. [snip]

+++++++++++++++++
Phillip -

Not to split hairs, but with respect to your comments on older Porsches,
actually parts are  very easy to come by.  It is, as you correctly noted,
the #@$&#!@!%!! cost that is so difficult to swallow.  I can find almost any
part for our 64 356C  coupe, however, it typically costs about 3 to 4 times
what a similar part would cost for the Spitfire (and 5 to 8 times as much if
it is a unique part).  Example, wheel bearings are about $25 per axle for
the Spitfire and about $80 to $100 per axle for the 356.  A new steering
wheel for the Porsche is (GULP) about $800!

And, yes, parts for Alfas are non-existent.  Since I do all my own
maintenence this is not a factor, but I see your point about that cost as
well and agree wholeheartedly.  At my local quick oil change shop down the
road the sign on the wall lists 3 price groups (1) all passenger cars -
$24.95  (2) all trucks & 4X4s - $29.95  (3) All Mercedes & BMWs - $32.95.
 Now you tell me, why the difference?  Hell, it's the same damned oil, and
frankly the oil filters are no different, they are not made of Kriptonite,
so how do they get off charging $8 more because of the badge on the hood?
 No thanks, I'll  avoid Benzes and Bimmers.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)