Re: Hardtops-- real or fake?

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtops-- real or fake?
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 06:21:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Scott, you asked,

>My question to you all . . did any aftermarket manufactures make 2 piece
>hardtops?

Yes, I have one I bought most of 20 years ago.  I think I paid about $350
for it, back when a 1-piece fiberglass hardtop was about $200.  It is
currently resting on one of my TR4As.

I don't recall where I purchased it, but several venders sold this item.  I
_might_ have gotten it from Moss, with some 10% off offer.

Jamie, is right, Triumphs Only sold them, and had some of the best pictures
in their catalog.  I recall a woman in a bikini demostrating how to remove
the center section of the (hard)top.

The fiberglass 2-piece hardtop is not a bad reproduction, especially the
rear portion.

The worst problem was lack of any place to carry the removed center section
with you.  I tried to strap it to my luggage rack, but the top was curved
more than the rack.

Worth a look.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
2 '62 TR3Bs
2 '67 TR4As
1 '54 Austin-Healey 100-4
1 '54 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo (still For Sale)
1 '78 Winnebago Minnie Winnie race-chaser and tow vehicle
+ 3 British parts cars