Re: Front Suspension

To: hargrave@somtel.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Suspension
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:25:23
> Hi all,
>    I want to rebush my upper and lower wishbones and maybe put new trunnions
> on to my 77 spitfire. I've got a few questions though. Do the bushings have
> to be pressed out? Also how difficult of a job is it to change the trunnions?
>

> Thanks in advance
> Herb Hargraves
> 77 Spitfire

On the whole these things are easy to do.  Press out the old bushes
with sockets and a bench vice, or if they are really stuck, burn them
out with a blow torch. This is often quicker, if a bit messy.
Changing trunnions is dead easy if nothing is seized, follow the
workshop manual. If however, the bolt in the base of the trunnion,
holding it to the lower wishbone, is seized in the trunnion, then it
can be a real pain. Do not waste time on it. Take a hacksaw and slide
it between wishbone, and trunnion to saw through the bolt. Make sure
you don't damage the wishbone when doing this.  As I say this is a
real pain, but often neccesary. Avoid having to do it again by
putting anti-seize compound (coppaslip) on the bolt when you
reassemble.

Any more problems, just ask.

Jonathan

'77 Spitfire 1500