Re: Engine and Head # survey

To: gt6nut@gnn.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine and Head # survey
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:29:51 -0500

<<
 Nick,
 I would be very interested in what you can tell me about these numbers.
 The motor in my 69 GT-6 is definetly a transplant. It had boneyard
 markings on it that said "71 TR6. But as the stroke is just under 3" it
 leads me to believe that it is a 2 liter. The block was decked for zero
clearance making the
 block # kind of hard to see but still there. Had flat top pistons marked
 + 30 with four rings. Two compression and two oil rings,one above the
 wrist pin and one below.

 Block: KF20130U
 Head:  218225

 Also would be interested if you or anyone else on the list could help me
 with the trans. ID. This also must have been put in later as the numbers
 dont coincide with any info that i have found on GT-6's.

 Trans.HC 4668107197A

Dan-

My best guesstimate would make your motor about a late 72 or 73 GT6. The good
news is that, from what I have found so far, it has the correct head on it
for that block. The fact that the block has been decked, may mean that
someone has "hotrodded" this motor a bit. Check the depth of the head by
measuring from the machined area of either the valve cover gasket area, or
the top of a cylinder head stud, down to the mating with the block (try not
to include the headgasket thickness in your measurement). On the late block,
I believe the head depth should be about 3.40" or so (don't hold me to
that)for the low compression ratio. If the depth measures about 3.30", you're
getting back to early stock compression, and if it is less than that, you
better hope that a lot of material has been removed from the combustion area
as the compression ratio is about to get "unstreetable". However, this is for
data with the flat-tops pistons. Pop-up pistons are gonna be a "whole 'nother
thing".

Sorry, but I'm not "into" tranny numbers. But if it is a "big" TR trans, the
bell housing will be part of the case. The original GT6 trans was a steel
case with an aluminum bell housing.

Keep those numbers comin...
      Nick in Nor Cal