Re: hardtop for MK II Spit

To: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Subject: Re: hardtop for MK II Spit
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:11:23 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Odd Hedberg wrote:

> I don't really understand why everyone is so interested in hardtops
> for the early body style...
> ... Of course it's a factory fitment to my Spit
> and therefore I wouldn't dream of parting with it....

Odd, I think you answered your own question. Interestingly, that's
exactly the way I'd view it. I always wanted a hardtop for my Mk.3
Spitfire, although I'd probably never have used it.

> It might be of interest that over here an absolute majority (if not
> all) of the Spitfires after ~ spring 1964 was as standard delivered
> with the factory hardtop (and the soft top folded) fitted, unless
> specially ordered without one. (Some -not many though- was actually
> delivered and registered as coupés, without the soft top things! They
> are technically speaking illegal to drive open...)

That is interesting, although not too surprising. It's rather too bad
that it didn't work out that way in the North American market,
considering how many Spitfires were sold in the Northeastern U.S. and
other "colder" areas! Maybe Standard-Triumph USA didn't think we'd pay
that much extra?

> Other standard fitments over here was the heater/demister unit, the
> windshield washer...

As were most all U.S.-bound Spitfires and other Triumphs, except those
destined for really warm areas like Hawaii or Puerto Rico.

> ...and many of the later ones were fitted with the
> stearing column lock and almost all of them was fitted with radials...

Steering column locks seem to have been a European thing long before the
U.S. government started requiring them (1970 for Triumphs here). Radials
we didn't get standard on Spitfires until 1974, though!

--Andy