TR3 engine machine work

Subject: TR3 engine machine work
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 08:19:51 -0600
Hi all:

        Today, I'm suppose to pick up my block and head from a buddy who is hot
tanking them.  I would like to take both to the machine shop as soon as
possible, hence, a couple of quick questions.

        When an engine is "milled" is the material removed from the head, the
block or both?  Do you try to take a minimum amount of material so as to
true the piece or is there some optimum amount?  What is that amount?

        Can I "port" the head myself? (In the basement, with a Dremmel tool and
significantly impaired on Michelobe beer) or is that the type work best
left to the machine shop?

        Does anyone have experience with a product called Red Glyptal?  Is it
worth the effort?

        Other than getting new valve seat installed in the head, is there any
other obvious machine shop work I'm missing at this point?

        I will be rebuilding this over the next several months in a generally
dry
basement.  Do I need to take any special precautions to prevent rust?

        Thanks a million.

Ken Gano
kengano@advant.com
TR3A TS57756 (in pieces)