Re: Rusty Frame

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: Rusty Frame
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:15:11 -0500
Ken Brown wrote :

>With all the talf about TR6 frames flexing I decided to crawl under my car
with
>a screwdriver and probe around the frame. To my surprise I found a small hole
>in the left trailing arm. After opening the hole up just a bit ( about the
size
 >of a dime)I hit the frame with a mallet an a pile of rust scale feel out. My
 >question to the group is when do you consider rust to be such a problem that
 >you replace the whole  member or can I get away with just a patch.

and I'd like to say, welcome to the Rusty Roadster club.  Yours doesn't
sound too bad, some look like Swiss cheese in the swing-arm bracket area.

Just when it is rusty enough to need repair is a tough judgement call,
and depends upon your plans for the car, as much as anything, so I'll
not offer any advice here, except for those of you who may be buying a
TR-6 / 250 / 4A IRS, and that is to do just what Ken did here:  crawl
under the car with a screwdriver and see if you can poke holes in the
box section the the frame, near the outer swing-arm bracket, since that's
where they all seem to rust first - driver's side, especially.

I've seen patch sections in the catalogs, but haven't had the necessary
cash (or welding skills) to pursue it for myself.  Good luck, &
Best regards,
Tom Tweed
'75 TR-6 bare roller
SW Ohio