Re: TR6 Clunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clunk
From: JCBOUCHARD@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:13:28 -0500
Cc: cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com
TR6, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

"The first thing to check is that your lug nuts are tight.  If the U joints
and splines are *really* OK (did you check the driveshaft U joints, too?),
then check for play in the diff. Put the car in gear, jack up one rear wheel,
see how much free play there is on that wheel, and watch what moves while the
wheel moves.  The diffs have a tendency to consume the spherical copper
thrust washers. If that's the case, you have a new diff in your future."

YIKES!!!  I do not want to spend $800+ on a rebuilt unit.  I jacked up one
wheel and had about an inch of play before resistance was felt.  Can Chris or
anyone else convince me that this play is in tolerance so I'm not tempted to
push the car off a cliff.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for the responses.  Any further input would be
appreciated.

Joe Bouchard