Re: TR6 Clunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Clunk
From: mike@shoppersdrugmart.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 08:32:47 EST
Encoding: 27 Text
My experience with my 76 TR6 says you need to be looking at the
differential.  I've had a clunk in mine since I bought it 2 years ago and
went the same route as you are now.

Last year I traded for a 'rebuilt' diff which solved the problem until it
blew up a month after installation.  The PO had replaced the diff mount
bushings and reinforced the mounts themselves, so I knew that was not the
problem.  Also, all the joints are splined, so no chance there.

The checklist is like this:

- u-joints
- diff mounts/frame
- diff mount rubbers
- hubs
- trailing arm bushings

If all those things are ok, then it's the diff.  I just got one with 60K
miles on it at the local autojumble for $80 and it seems tight.  I'll open
it up to ensure nothing untoward is going on and mount it this winter.
Hopefully that will do it, although I'll probably just replace the existing
clunking and whining with same in a different key ;-)

Good Luck.

Mike Himelfarb          (mike@ShoppersDrugMart.ca)
76 TR6 -- CF58253