Re: TR6 Diff Mount Bushings

To: Creigtrium@aol.com, Kdoc111@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Diff Mount Bushings
From: Hctcbob@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 09:39:24 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-15 23:10:38 EST, Creigtrium@aol.com writes:

<< Have you had the differential out to inspect the mounting points?  I am in
 the process of working on the differential bushings on my TR6.  Untill I
took
 my differential out, I thought my mounting points were OK.  When I took out
 my differential I found the front passenger side mount broken.  >>

It occured to me while reading this note that not everyone knows what to
check when looking at the diff mounts. Since the front passenger side mount
is the first to go, it's the one to look at. A "clicking sound" could be a
tear in the metal above the mount on the crossmember where the top of the
diff mount bolt is welded in.  This is fairly common and hard to spot.  Take
off the wheel and look at it with a bright light.  Then rub your hands over
it and feel for a crack. This can't be repaired from under the car, but a
patch panel can be welded in from the top by cutting out part of the rear
deck and then welding it back together. The bottom side is much easier to see
and if you contortion yourself just right, to feel.
Bob in Austin