re: Help, Carburettor Leak

To: Jim Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Subject: re: Help, Carburettor Leak
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 22:05:21 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Conversation-id: <96Nov16.215632-0800pdt.30850-21571+522@orb.direct.ca>
Posted-date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 22:07:53 -0800 (PST)
Sounds like the o-ring around the plug has hardened with age and is no longer
sealing.  I believe the only way to get the proper replacement is in the carb
repair kit, although you might find a suitable replacement, made from the
correct material from a industrial supply house -- make sure it's made of
materal that is suitable for immersion in gasoline.

It's a simple job to replace, although you need to remove the float bowl to do
it, as the plug is plastic (with a brass cap) and you need to *carefully*
squeeze the inner tangs to release the plug,  If you try to pry the plug off
from the outside you stand a very good change of breaking the plug, and I
believe it is almost impossible to obtain a replacement plug.

Fix it before driving as you don't want to drip gasoline onto the exhaust
manifold!

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6
Ridgecrest, CA