HELP! TR4A rigid axle springs

To: Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HELP! TR4A rigid axle springs
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 Nov 96 15:51:09 EST
Hey folks,

Okay, the bottom end of the engine is back together, the head is in the machine
shop getting its new valve seats, etc., and the body is assembled and on the
chassis.  Now that problem that I have been avoiding needs to be dealt with.

When I reassembled the chassis, I fitted new springs all around.   The rear end
uses leaf springs, but they are a different p/n than the regular TR4.

Trouble is, I had to have both a roommate and myself (both 200 lbs+)  stand on
the rear crossmember just to get the axle bolted up to the springs. The axle is
quite firmly pressed up against the frame rails.   It also took all manner of
sworking to get the rear shackles in place.   There is no way in heck that the
shock absorber links are going to reach the holes in the aluminum spacers.

I've checked every drawing I could find, including my teardown photos, and I'm
sure I put everything back together properly.  I know that the weight of the
body is not going to compensate for this, since I've put the body back on, stood
in the trunk, and still can't get the axle off the frame.  Is it possible that
TRF gave me the wrong springs?  They were marked with the correct part number.
How can I tell?

I'm also wondering if the springs are just assembled by the supplier and then
need to be "curved" to fit the car.  Has anyone else had to do this?

As usual, any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com
Waterford, Michigan