clutch problems TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: clutch problems TR3A
From: JordanMWJr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 02:32:17 -0500
Hello to all

After working since about February, the first real run of a 59 TR3A barn
monster took place yesterday.  New water pump, rebuild on the brake
cylinders, clutch master and slave cylinders, brake master cylinder, cleaning
of carbs (no rebuild yet), carpets, some minor body work, new wiring harness
(four week chore), new motor mounts, new toneauo cover (thanks, Tony)
rebuilds/cleaning of shocks, new tires, lots of grease in every idenified
front suspension zerk fitting,  radiator boil out, new hoses, new fuel line,
ready to go.  Or so I thought.

Starts okay, needs a lot of choke for a lot of time, brakes a little soft
(probably needs one more bleeding) no undue vibration, frame probably
straight, runs okay, all things considered.  The car was in a barn for about
5 years.

Daughter #2 comes in from school, so I suggest lunch at the local Cantina.
 Try to impress her that dad is not the full old fart she thinks I am.  Make
it to the Cantina, great frozen margaritas.  However, coming back, I notice
the gearbox seems a little tight after about 30 minutes.  So much so that
after I run out of gas (need to look at the fuel tank and float assembly) and
re-start, I can't easily get into first.  Get back to the shop and am unable
to get the clutch to work at all.  Pedel goes to the floor, no effect.

The fluid cup seems full; no apparent leaks at either the master cylinder or
the slave cylinder.

I guess a take down of the MC and the slave cylinder is next.  Any
suggestions as to what I thought I did right that is so wrong ?

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
JORDANMWJR@AOL.COM