RUSTED FLOORBOARD REPAIR METHODS?

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: RUSTED FLOORBOARD REPAIR METHODS?
From: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 11:34:27 -0600
I am getting ready to cut out and replace the entire floorboard in my '69
Spitfire.
I know that this is a drastic measure but because of the other modifications
I am making it is required.
The floorboards are VERY rusty.  The front sections are completely gone but
were repaired at some time in the past by riveting in some sheet metal.  The
repair seems to be effective but it is not very pretty and I suspect that it
is not as strong as I would like either.  The rear section of the floorboard
has rust every where.   After some cleaning I discovered small (1/4 inch or
so) holes all over the place.

So anyway, since I had planned on removing and remodeling the floorboard
anyway the poor condition that mine is in really doesn't make much
difference.  But I am curious about other peoples experiences and solutions
for dealing with this all too common problem.

 What type of material did you use?
How did you attach the material?
How did you prepare the rusted floor?
What did you do to prevent future rust?

Let me climb onto my soap box for a moment.....

It seems to me that anyone who builds a convertible car must know that
eventuially it will get rained in.
If you know that the car you are building will get full on water from time
to time, wouldn't it make sence to put drain holes in the lowest spots on
the floor boards to prevent rust?
I think that a drain hole is not too much to ask for.
This seems like too simple of a solution to such a common and severe problem
too have been overlooked by the manufacturer.
So why didn't they do it?
If you know why please let me know.

Ok, I have finished ranting.

Thanks