Re: RUSTED FLOORBOARD REPAIR METHODS?

To: esc <esc@firstnethou.com>
Subject: Re: RUSTED FLOORBOARD REPAIR METHODS?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:24:01 +0500 (EST)
Cc: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, esc wrote:

> I am getting ready to cut out and replace the entire floorboard in my '69
> Spitfire.
> I know that this is a drastic measure but because of the other modifications
> I am making it is required....
>
> What type of material did you use?

Get the correct floorboards, from TRF or whomever.

> How did you attach the material?

Spot weld, MIG weld, etc. Others can give you more details on that.

> How did you prepare the rusted floor?

Nothing to prepare, really, as hopefully you'll cut away any metal
that's not solid.

> What did you do to prevent future rust?

Epoxy or other top-quality primer, proper coating, Waxoyl or other
rustproofing methods when you're finished.

> Let me climb onto my soap box for a moment.....
>
> It seems to me that anyone who builds a convertible car must know that
> eventuially it will get rained in.
> If you know that the car you are building will get full on water from time
> to time, wouldn't it make sence to put drain holes in the lowest spots on
> the floor boards to prevent rust?
> I think that a drain hole is not too much to ask for.

Well, they ARE there, at least on the original panels (and, I think, on
the best repro panels -- if not, they're easy enough to add). But they're
usually plugged with rubber plugs, as you don't want stuff getting in
from the bottom.

What's as likely to cause the floorboard rust as anything is a
water-soaked carpet (and perhaps underlayment as well) that just sits
there wet and eventually rusts out the floor. If your convertible fills
up with water, ideally you'd bail out what you can, remove the wet
carpets or mats, push out the drain plugs, dry it all, put it all back.
Repeat as necessary. ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *