Rusted floorboard repair methods(part 2)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rusted floorboard repair methods(part 2)
From: esc@firstnethou.com (esc)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:36:21 -0600
>Thank you every one for your prompt and numerous replies.
>
>So this is what I have learned...
>
>There probably were drain holes in my floor, they were just plugged up
...before they rusted away.

>It's not the puddles that had no where to go that cause rust...it's the
sponge like carpet and padding.  (I still think that the standing water had
more to do with my cars problems because there is no carpet or padding.  Or
maybe the padding just rotted away and flowed out after it rusted the floor,
I'm not sure.)

>A car cover should be used if I plan to leave my car outside in the rain
with the top down.

>If I ford a river with the drain holes open water may get into my car.
>

>The best solution (for anyone else) would be to replace the floor boards
with reproduction parts from one of the places that sell that sort of
thing...we all know who they are.

>My solution?
>
>First:  The reproduction parts won't fit due to frame modifications.
>        Next week I am going to price sheet stainless.  If it won't cost
more than a small fortune I will use it for my repairs, otherwise maybe
aluminum or galvanized steel..  I have not decided.  But I will leave drain
holes, and I will leave them open.

>Second: When I put carpet in I will use a synthetic carpet that will not
absorb water.  Probably something with the consistancy of astro-turf.  (But
not green)

>Third:  I will try not to go for a topless joy ride during a hurricane,
unless I really have to.
-----------------------
>part 2
>

>Maybe those of you who have used the reproduction parts can answer a few
questions for me.

>How much of the floorboard can you get away with removing?  What are the
limits?

>How strong (thick) is the metal that is used on these new floorboards?
>
>Do you place these on top of the nonrusted portion of the old floorboards
or do you have to hack out everything?

>Thanks,
Eric
esc@firstnethou.com