Re: RE:New Triumphs

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Subject: Re: RE:New Triumphs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 10:07:58 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Tom Tweed wrote:

>  >"Be careful what you wish for, it may come true."
>  >
>  >Kurt Oblinger
>  >Redondo Beach, Ca.
>  >c394829@is6.mdc.com
>  >
>  >TR2 TR3 Vitesse TR7 Doretti Mini Norton
>  >

> ..And to the above caveat, I would add, Remember, you can never go back..
> because it just won't be like it was then.  Someone should tell the likes
> of the music group YES and the Moody Blues and a few other middle-aged
> `rockers' that, although I guess they can't be blamed for trying to milk
> that cash cow one more time.

One could argue that they are doing what we're all doing in a sense.
We're preserving automotive memories, they're keeping musical memories alive.

As for "new" Triumphs, you're right. We'd best not expect too much of
anything new from BMW/Rover with the Triumph name. It might be great,
practical and fun (like a M**t*), and it might even captivate a whole new
generation of sports car fans (like a M**t*), but it won't be what we
remember, any more than the 1997 Ford Thunderbird is "like" the original
1955.

I don't always agree with Graham Robson, but he might be right in noting
that it could be for the best that the name is left to history.

My $.02....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *