Re: RE:New Triumphs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE:New Triumphs
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 22:18:37 -0500
Kurt Oblinger reminds us :

 >Rover Group is now owned by BMW, and I know that
 >the suits at BMW have been asked about reviving
 >some of the classic car brands that Rover owns
 >rights to including Triumph. They  repeatedly
 >say that there are no plans to do so. The MGF
 >was already a reality when BMW bought Rover.

[edited]

 >"Be careful what you wish for, it may come true."
 >
 >Kurt Oblinger
 >Redondo Beach, Ca.
 >c394829@is6.mdc.com
 >
 >TR2 TR3 Vitesse TR7 Doretti Mini Norton

..And to the above caveat, I would add, Remember, you can never go back..
because it just won't be like it was then.  Someone should tell the likes
of the music group YES and the Moody Blues and a few other middle-aged
`rockers' that, although I guess they can't be blamed for trying to milk
that cash cow one more time.

My point is, I don't believe that a `new' Triumph could satisfy most
people who love the `old' Triumphs IF one of the criteria is that the
`new' Triumph should be as affordable, relatively, as the `old' one was.
I think that was a function of the dollar/pound exchange rate back then,
as well as British Leyland's cost of production, the competing cars in
the US market at the time, etc.etc..

The New Triumph bikes may serve as an example.  One of them, the T-bird,
is an obvious throw-back to the '50 & '60 s Triumph twins -- but for the
price of the new one, you could get two restored originals !  Why, then,
would you want the new one, other than for the modern materials & re-
duced maintenance schedule.  I'd rather have the old ones, at least you
know they'll hold their value (or have up to now).

Well, time to get off the soap box.

Regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio