Re: TR6 Transmission rebuild

To: jhh19@mail.idt.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission rebuild
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 13:03:31 -0500

> I've started an overhaul of my 73 gearbox
>(with OD, which I'm not touching), intending to fix worn syncro and stop
>the drip. Tranny is now on the bench.
>In addition to syncro fix, what else should I do since i have the box open?

John-
A couple of quick thoughts on your rebuild...

First of all, never mind the drip, you can't stop it (for further info see
Greg P).
You say that you are not gonna open the od unit, but I would recommend that
you pull the filter out of it as it is actually quite effective and you will
be surprised at the amount of crud in it. Unfortunately, you will either have
to buy or make a tool to pull the srew in plug out that holds in the filter
You do not mention bearing replacement, but I assume this was an oversight in
your post as there is no good reason to put the old ones back in. Pay special
attention to the area of the lay shaft where the needle bearings ride. If
there is even the slightest hint of pitting or break up of the surface of the
shaft, put a new one in. This shaft, and its bearings, are the weakest point
of the trans.
For the "icing on the cake", pitch out the small headed bolts that hold the
od mounting plate to the trans and fit socket head bolts. Drill the heads for
safety wire. These bolts are supposed to be torqued to something like15
pounds. I do not know what they are made of, but with about 1additional
 pound, they will start to stretch like you wouldn't believe. Believe it or
not, these bolts are the cause of a large percentage of the oil leaks on
these transmissions. While in use, the od pushes against this plate and tends
to stretch the bolts (ever wonder why they're always loose when you take it
apart even though they are safety wired?). When the bolts become loose, the
plate becomes loose on the trans...and you leak oil!
Also check the end play on the bushes for 3/2 gears. If you have the later
type with the straight bushes you're probably ok, but if you have the bush
that looks like a "top hat", then check the end float carefully, also check
to see if the "brim" of the top hat is craked or broken off. If it is broken,
you will not only have to replace it, but the also the bronze washer inside
the planetary gear system on the od as this washer tries to absorb the shock
when the top hat bush breaks. If in doubt as to whether or not it is ok, you
can use a lite to see down into the od to see if the washer is still there.
It is the little one that the mainshaft goes through, that lives just behind
the three little gears that you can just see the edges of.
If you have evidence of the front seal leaking, look at the shaft to see if
it has a ring worn into it by the seal. If it does, there are a couple ways
around it. Either put some shim stock in front of the seal so that it will
contact the shaft in a different place, or use two thinner seals. I have the
numbers for the thin seals around someplave, but will have to dig for them if
you want to go that way.

Remember, trannies are like opinions...everybody's got one
          Nick in Nor Cal