Re: TR6 Transmission rebuild

To: jhh19@mail.idt.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission rebuild
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 22:23:36 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Inaddition to syncro fix, what else should I do since i have the box
>open?
>Does the TRF "overhaul kit" make sense?
>While the clutch is fine, should I take some preemtive action?
>I too have the famous "clunk." Diff is OK, I think, so should I do a
>rebuild of
>the prop shaft since its so nicely available?
>Will greatly appreciaite your input.
>
>Thanks, John, CF 9071 fair weather driver since '81.

I just put the TRF tranny kit in mine.  The Main thing that goes wrong,
in my experience is that the needle bearings on the countershaft go bad,
damaging the cluster gear and countershaft in the process.  If the
countershaft races are damaged, you can use the bearings that come with
an outer race.  A lot of people recommend using these anyway.  New
seals, of course.

I would definitiely do a visual inspection of the clutch and replace any
parts that obviously need it.  Keep in mind that it's really disgusting
to put everything back together and find out you SHOULD HAVE replaced
something.

Good luck,

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)