Re: Rebirth of Triumph/A-H

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rebirth of Triumph/A-H
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 96 11:59:48 PST
Bill Wood wrote:

        > ....At the awards banquet that envening,
        > Mr. Bankie (sp?) of BMW stated that both Triumph and Austin-Healey
would
        > return by the turn of the century!

Whaaat?!  Sorry all, I have to put in my $0.02 of "chatter".  Dont
let anyone be fooled by a grinning alligator claiming a desire to
rebuild the great marques of Triumph/A-H/etc.  B-S!  These guys
are driven only by profit margins and big bonus'.  Hell, if
Mazda can build a bread-and-butter car with a no-name, make
it look and "sound" like a Lotus, and reap such huge profits that
they no longer need the RX-7 or rotary, the bean-counters are going
nuts thinking about a big-six bread-and-butter car with a chrome
logo spelling Triumph/A-H/etc on the boot/hood.

They've done their market-research well, targetting two consumer
groups:  1) Those undergoing mid-life crises and 2) those too young
to know the HERITAGE of these names.  Blimey, the latter group will
probably think "Triumph doesnt sound like a German word".

Ahh, nuts.  I dont mind if manufacturers do take advantage of an
over-girthed consumer, but let them be original about it, huh?

        Shane Ingate and TR6 mid-life crisis placebo in San Diego