Help! Losing power

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Losing power
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:59:03 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8509342601alinkens@farnborough>
Here's a problem to get your collective minds around. One that's been baffling
me for a long time and I'm desperate to solve it!
The only drawback (forgive me!) is that it relates to a non-Triumph car but as
it's a 4-cyl, single carb car with points it's essentially very similar to our
Triumphs and some of you may have experienced the same problem. (OK. I'll admit
it's a MK1 Ford Fiesta..)

The problem:
When driving on the motorway at a sensible speed, after a little while the
engine loses power dramatically and appears to misfire. The speed drops to a
crawl and I have to pull over onto the hard shoulder. The engine invariably
dies and when I pull the bonnet and check plug leads are pushed on tight etc,
jump back in and start up everything is fine again for about another 10
minutes. Then the same thing happens. Recently as the weather has got colder
this happens first thing in the morning when the car is first started from
cold.

I've tried everything (well, almost!). Thinking it must be a dodgy lead I've
replaced many parts bit by bit and it's still the same. It's got new condenser,
points, distributor cap, spark plugs, ignition leads. I'm beginning to think it
can't be an electrical problem and yet it still sounds like it's misfiring.

I would be most grateful if anyone could throw some light on this please.

Thanks for keeping the list going. It's a great source of help and information
especially to novices like me!

Andy Linkens
'69 Vitesse
'76 2500S Estate