TR3A Rear brakes.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Rear brakes.
From: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 09:48:38 -0500
Hello to the list:

Just got my rear brake shoes re-lined at a local shop.  Did a great job.
Having the shoes rel-lined seemed a bit cheaper than buying new ones, as my
car has the 10" rears.  Seems brake parts for this series of brakes (10")
are scarse and expensive.
My question to the list is regarding fastening the shoes to the backing
plates.  Have seen a couple of different methods of fastening the shoes, the
most common being the spring, pin and collar method, very similar to North
American drum brakes.  I have no holes in the backing plates to pass pins
through.  On my backing plates, there seems to be only a post with a rubber
collar that the shoes rest against.  The shoes appear to be held in place
only by the adjuster slot and the slot in the cylinder.  The long springs
then hold the shoes together against the adjuster and wheel cylinder.  Does
this seem like the correct arrangement?  As the brakes were disassembled
when I received the car, have no way of knowing what is correct.  Any photos
I have seen of the brake assembly show the pin, spring and collar method of
fastening the brake shoes to the backing plate
Thanks for any insight into this.

Angelo Graham
1959 TR3A
Waterloo, Ont. Canada