Re: Spitfire Turn Signal & Hazard Relay(s)?

To: badams@cyberport.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire Turn Signal & Hazard Relay(s)?
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 17:25:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
<<Every wiring diagram in the Haynes Manual for cars of these years shows
that
they have both a turn signal and hazard relay.  I can find only one (Lucas
9FL Flasher 12V 12A MAX) which is located on the firewall.  Among other
things I've checked (grounds, bulbs,etc) I've traced the wires from the turn
signal switch through their connectors to the point where they join a large
wiring harness under the dash and have found no second relay.  As best as I
can tell (I haven't pulled the dash, but I have taken out the seat and shelf
so I can get a good look) these wires stay in that harness and go out the
firewall with it.

I've also checked for a powered wire at the turn signal switch (there are 3
wires here) and found no power to any of them.  Today I'm going to connect
across the relay on the firewall to see if I can get power to the turn
signal switch.

Does anyone know if the 74's did, in fact, have two separate relays and if
so where are they located?  Is there anything else I should check? >>

Barry,

The turn signal problem may be related to the hazard warning switch. I had
the same problem--the turn signals just stopped working but the hazard
flasher and lights worked. I traced the problem to dirty contacts in the
hazard switch itself. In my Spit, the hazards and turn signals both operate
off one flasher unit. Power to the turn signal switch (column stalk) runs
through a set of contacts in the hazard switch when it is in the off position
(they are by-passed when you pull out the knob). Now, this all assumes your
flasher switch is one of the types that pulls out, as opposed to the big
rocker switch. Although, I'll bet the principle is the same.

I was able to disassemble the switch by removing a wire circlip that holds
the plunger assembly in the switch body. Be careful to note the arrangement
of the long and short connectors and into which holes they go, and which
wires attach to which terminal. Once the switch is apart, fine sandpaper will
clean the contacts, and a little dielectric grease on the contact area may
make the repair go a little longer.

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.