Re: TR's as investments?

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: TR's as investments?
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:05:12 -0800
Cc: triumphs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET

Shane F. Ingate wrote:

>         The aforementioned class of Porsche owners are probably
> pretty dim when it comes to finances, and LBC owners are the ones
> who have fiscal savvy.

Sorry Shane, but this statement is completely ludicrous.

With very FEW exceptions (E-Type, 300SLR, Vincent Black Shadow)
classic vehicles make very poor investments.  Unless you bought one of
those many years ago you lost money on your "investment".

Classic vehicles are poor investments...if they need work and parts,
you lose money...even if you don't count your time (labor).

>         Taking my '74 TR6 as an example, its purchase price in
> 1974 was approx $3300.  The median price for a (roadworthy
> and registered) TR6 is $6000, an increase in 180%.  Comparable
> year Porsches sold new for in excess of $10000, and I guess that
> todays median price is $10000, no increase.

How much money was required to keep the average TR6 in such
condition that it would be worth that amount.  I'll bet it's much
more thant $2700....the rare exception being the car kept in a
hermetically sealed chamber of course.

>         Pristine TR6's will sell for in excess of $10000 (%300)
> and pristine Porsches of the same vintage for less than $20000
> (%200).  Any Porsche between say 1980-1990 sells for less than 1/2
> of its initial purchse price (dollar amounts not corrected for
inflation).

German cars depreciate less than any Italian or British car.  Ever price
a late model XJ-S?  Beautiful, capable car....but new they were over
$60K....you can pick them up for less than half that...in good
condition.
Compare to a Mercedes, Porsche or BMW....the Teutonic marques
have more inherent value because they break less and when they do
there is a dealer around to support them.

>         And I dont want to even think about the relative annual
> running costs of the German cars relative to our LBC's.

You can't compare apples to oranges....I've been driving my 65 MGB
for the last month while my Mom has been driving my BMW (daily
driver, boring 325is) and while it's been adventurous and at times
fun, it's not the use for which the car is best suited.  The German cars
work....they may lack charm and old world elegance...but they work.
And comparing a loud, drafty, poorly ventillated, slow and rattly
MGB's maintenance costs to those of a modern BMW, Porsche or
Mercedes is impossible.  The BMW gives more bang for the buck.

I'm not a fan of German cars....if I had the money my garage would
be a filled with a Series 1 E-Type Roadster, a 275 GTB4, and a
new Jag sedan.

My 1987 325is gives great performance (168HP, Limited Slip
rear-end and 4-wheel disc) has 140,000 miles, does not burn or
leak oil, and upon recent smog test was emitting less than 1/3 the
average pollutants than most cars.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this....

TJ
who loves all manner of British cars, but is unwilling to commute in one
unless it's a new Jag..or maybe a Bentley Turbo R.

--
TJ Noto  Palo Alto CA  USA
95 Ducati 916  Owner and vehicle both pastaburners

------------4A03245574710

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Shane F. Ingate wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The aforementioned
class of Porsche owners are probably<BR>
&gt; pretty dim when it comes to finances, and LBC owners are the ones<BR>
&gt; who have fiscal savvy.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
Sorry Shane, but this statement is completely ludicrous.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>With very FEW&nbsp;exceptions (E-Type, 300SLR, Vincent Black Shadow)</DT>

<DT>classic vehicles make very poor investments.&nbsp; Unless you bought
one of</DT>

<DT>those many years ago you lost money on your &quot;investment&quot;.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Classic vehicles are poor investments...if they need work and parts,</DT>

<DT>you lose money...even if you don't count your time (labor).</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Taking my '74 TR6
as an example, its purchase price in<BR>
&gt; 1974 was approx $3300.&nbsp; The median price for a (roadworthy<BR>
&gt; and registered) TR6 is $6000, an increase in 180%.&nbsp; Comparable<BR>
&gt; year Porsches sold new for in excess of $10000, and I guess that<BR>
&gt; todays median price is $10000, no increase.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>How much money was required to keep the average TR6 in such</DT>

<DT>condition that it would be worth that amount.&nbsp; I'll bet it's much</DT>

<DT>more thant $2700....the rare exception being the car kept in a</DT>

<DT>hermetically sealed chamber of course.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Pristine TR6's will
sell for in excess of $10000 (%300)<BR>
&gt; and pristine Porsches of the same vintage for less than $20000<BR>
&gt; (%200).&nbsp; Any Porsche between say 1980-1990 sells for less than
1/2<BR>
&gt; of its initial purchse price (dollar amounts not corrected for
inflation).<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>German cars depreciate less than any Italian or British car.&nbsp;
Ever price</DT>

<DT>a late model XJ-S?&nbsp; Beautiful, capable car....but new they were
over</DT>

<DT>$60K....you can pick them up for less than half that...in good
condition.</DT>

<DT>Compare to a Mercedes, Porsche or BMW....the Teutonic marques</DT>

<DT>have more inherent value because they break less and when they do</DT>

<DT>there is a dealer around to support them.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; And I dont want to
even think about the relative annual<BR>
&gt; running costs of the German cars relative to our LBC's.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>You can't compare apples to oranges....I've been driving my 65 MGB</DT>

<DT>for the last month while my Mom has been driving my BMW (daily</DT>

<DT>driver, boring 325is) and while it's been adventurous and at times</DT>

<DT>fun, it's not the use for which the car is best suited.&nbsp; The German
cars</DT>

<DT>work....they may lack charm and old world elegance...but they work.</DT>

<DT>And comparing a loud, drafty, poorly ventillated, slow and rattly</DT>

<DT>MGB's maintenance costs to those of a modern BMW, Porsche or</DT>

<DT>Mercedes is impossible.&nbsp; The BMW&nbsp;gives more bang for the
buck.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I'm not a fan of German cars....if I&nbsp;had the money my garage would</DT>

<DT>be a filled with a Series 1 E-Type Roadster, a 275 GTB4, and a&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>new Jag sedan.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>My 1987 325is gives great performance (168HP, Limited Slip</DT>

<DT>rear-end and 4-wheel disc) has 140,000 miles, does not burn or</DT>

<DT>leak oil, and upon recent smog test was emitting less than 1/3 the</DT>

<DT>average pollutants than most cars.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I know I'm gonna get flamed for this....</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>TJ</DT>

<DT>who loves all manner of British cars, but is unwilling to commute in
one</DT>

<DT>unless it's a new Jag..or maybe a Bentley Turbo R.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So we may wish to
rethink before calling our fellow<BR>
&gt; German-car enthusiasts *greedy*&nbsp; :)<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Shane Ingate, TR6
&quot;under the bed&quot; in San Diego<BR>
<BR>
--&nbsp;<BR>
TJ Noto&nbsp; Palo Alto CA&nbsp; USA<BR>
95 Ducati 916&nbsp; Owner and vehicle both pastaburners&nbsp;<BR>
72 Norton Commando Scowling Street Terror #007<BR>
&nbsp;</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------4A03245574710--