TR's as investments?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR's as investments?
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 09:19:45 PST
All,
        Yesterday's thread on some people "purchasing Porsches as
an investment" prompted me to give a little more thought to the
subject, especially with regards to LBC's.

        This email will be very generalized, and based on my
local experiences of watching car prices in S. Calif.

        The aforementioned class of Porsche owners are probably
pretty dim when it comes to finances, and LBC owners are the ones
who have fiscal savvy.

        Taking my '74 TR6 as an example, its purchase price in
1974 was approx $3300.  The median price for a (roadworthy
and registered) TR6 is $6000, an increase in 180%.  Comparable
year Porsches sold new for in excess of $10000, and I guess that
todays median price is $10000, no increase.

        Pristine TR6's will sell for in excess of $10000 (%300)
and pristine Porsches of the same vintage for less than $20000
(%200).  Any Porsche between say 1980-1990 sells for less than 1/2
of its initial purchse price (dollar amounts not corrected for inflation).

        I do not consider the Porsche factory pseudo-racers which DO
command serious money, but they are still not in the Italian league.

        Things get even rosier for 60's TR's.  TR3's and 4's will
sell for up to several time more than their initial purchase price,
but not so 911's (and especially 912's).  The 356's are different and
are probably on par with TR4's for *investment*.

        MGA's outstrip the lot!

        And I dont want to even think about the relative annual
running costs of the German cars relative to our LBC's.

        So we may wish to rethink before calling our fellow
German-car enthusiasts *greedy*  :)

        Shane Ingate, TR6 "under the bed" in San Diego