Re: "Please don't let it rain" says the man with the Triumph

To: "Petr Chrapavy " <petrc@asia.csg.mot.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Please don't let it rain" says the man with the Triumph
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 20:27:40 +1300
Petr

> Many thanks for the usefull input on my wet problem. You both
> mentioned the windscreen seal - sounds like a way to go.

Another thing to check is the sealing of the windscreen wiper shafts, ie.
the bits that the wiper arms attach to. The seals there does get a bit dry
after a while, speaking from experience. Best to take them apart and
reinstall with a bit of windscreen sealant.

> The car can usually cope with "normal" rain, it's the heavy or
> torrential rain that have me swearing and drying the front right
> carpets.  Winters in New Zealand are mild, but can be very wet
> - I just drove without front carpets for about 2 months...

Sounds familiar...

> Now it's summer, but tonight we're expecting another cyclone (2nd in
> 14 days), 300mm of rain in 24 hrs and 100+ km/h winds are predicted,
> great stuff - my Triumph is parked outside so it's going to get it
> again...

Good wasn't it. I hope you aren't in Thames where the water would have come
up through the bottom as well... Where in NZ do you live?

> My boot and doors are actually OK, the water comes in above the
> bonnet opener right under the dash. I tried just about everything to
> block it (and yes, silicon sealant) and even though things improved a
> bit, it's NOT fixed. The dash really needs to be completely removed,
> but who would put back together again - not me.

As Egil mentioned, you do need to remove the screen and reinstall it with
new sealant.

> I will have a go at replacing the windscreen rubber and try to get
> that "3M" non-silicon stuff to re-seal it.  Time to do things
> properly.

Yep

David Greed
1979 2500S