Re: "Please don't let it rain" says the man with the Triumph

Subject: Re: "Please don't let it rain" says the man with the Triumph
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 14:20:30 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Petr Chrapavy wrote:

> I wonder
> if there are any Triumph 2500 Saloon drivers out there ?

Oh yes. My daily driver is a 2.5 PI with a few modifications, esp. in the
engine, suspension and braking departments.

I've just rebuilt the engine, it now has Venolia forged pistons, its bored
to 2.6 litre, balanced throughout (most worthwhile), has 10.5 compression
and a .400 lift cam. Plus 6-3-1 interference type exhaust manifold,
reworked bench-flowed head and Lucas original but recalibrated injection.
Although still being "carefully" run in, it definitely *feels*
significantly more potent than my previous 150 BHP TR5-PI spec. engine.
FWIW.

(If anyone has some good advice on running in Venolia pistons, I'll
appreciate it).

> Anyway, opinions on fixing/fighting water (rain) leaks would be
> greatly appreciated. <Please don't say they all leak...>

No, they don't. In fact, these cars are basically pretty well built.

The #1 thing to look for is the front window sealing rubber. I would
really advise you to change it, unless it is less than, say, 5 years old.
It isn't difficult, just follow the instructions in the book, and apply a
thin layer of washing-up soap to the rubber parts before you begin. You'll
need an assistant, a thin rope and a little hook-line tool that is
described in the book. Do not use force, just keep the glass somewhat
firmly in place with your flat hands.

I have made the tool using a piece of broomstick and a wire hanger, but
they are pretty inexpensive anyway if you can find them (Frosts in UK have
them).

Afterwards, apply the proper 3M black and forever sticky window sealant.
Silicone sealants are not suited.

You could of course attempt re-applying sealer only, it will improve
matters, but it is difficult to get a permanent cure if the rubber has
become hard and inflexible.

If you have significant rust in the floor area, this will also be a source
of water leaks.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway