Re: "Please don't let it rain" says the man with the Triumph

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Please don't let it rain" says the man with the Triumph
From: Petr Chrapavy <petrc@asia.csg.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 97 16:28:37
Egil, Bruce,

Many thanks for the usefull input on my wet problem. You both
mentioned the windscreen seal - sounds like a way to go.

The car can usually cope with "normal" rain, it's the heavy or
torrential rain that have me swearing and drying the front right
carpets.  Winters in New Zealand are mild, but can be very wet
- I just drove without front carpets for about 2 months...

Now it's summer, but tonight we're expecting another cyclone (2nd in
14 days), 300mm of rain in 24 hrs and 100+ km/h winds are predicted,
great stuff - my Triumph is parked outside so it's going to get it
again...

My boot and doors are actually OK, the water comes in above the
bonnet opener right under the dash. I tried just about everything to
block it (and yes, silicon sealant) and even though things improved a
bit, it's NOT fixed. The dash really needs to be completely removed,
but who would put back together again - not me.

I will have a go at replacing the windscreen rubber and try to get
that "3M" non-silicon stuff to re-seal it.  Time to do things
properly.

Many happy Triumph miles,

Petr
1975 2500TC MKII with a bucket under the dash.

P.S. I thought Egil's name sounded familiar - he must be Mr. "Triumph
2000/2500 Home Page" himself !  Excellent site, can't remember the
link now, it's bookmarked on my home PC - try any WWW search for
"Triumph".

Bruce, how much per meter did you pay for your new rubber ? I would
love to do all of mine (how many times do I have to tell passengers
NOT to slam the doors, it's not an air-tight new car !) - it's
NZ$25/m here - a bit steep I think.