Re: Master Cylinder Re-sleeve

To: compubbs@nbnet.nb.ca, kstewart@wwdc.com ("K.R. Stewart"), triumphs@autox.team.net ("Triumphs List")
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder Re-sleeve
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 97 14:02:37 GMT
Hi Keith,

I just went through all of this on my '70 Spit.  It started out that the
primary seal in the kit kept splitting when installed.  I then purchased
Girling seals (which didn't split) and the cylinder still leaked from the
primary cylinder.  Talked with TRF and decided to have it re-sleeved.  I sent
the cylinder to Apple (I have no connection) and it was nicely re-sleeved for
around $100.00.  Re-assembled cylinder and bench tested it, guess what, yep
still leaked.  Pitched large allen wrench across shop and went in to call
Apple.  Since Apple was closed for the Holidays I called TRF again (needed to
vent).  After a lot of measuring by me and TRF and several calls back from TRF
we concluded that some PO replaced the original M/C with one from a TR3-6 M/C.
As it turns out the bore in the M/C of the TR cylinders is .050" larger.  I
suspect that Apple cross referenced the bore diameter basd on the number cast
into the M/C and not the fact that it came from a '70 Spit.  So with the TR
seals all is well, except that it is 10 F here in sunny Alabama.

Based on all of this I would have bought a rebuilt M/C from Apple for $135.00
or so rather than have mine re-sleeved.  I just hope that I remember to buy a
TR6 seal kit if I have to do this again.

Good Luck

Bill M.
'70 Spitfire
Huntsville, AL