Re: painting a car

To: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: Re: painting a car
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 17:38:32 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> On Tue, 14 Jan 1997  Robert J Carley wrote:

 >What do people think?  Is it better to paint a car in pieces -
>fenders,
>bonnet, etc. and then re-assemble it, or is it better to re-assemble
>it
 >and then paint.

                    ~then~

James H. Davis, Jr. replied:
> Robert,
                       ~snip~
 The supposed expert at my body/paint shop recommended and
> painted 38690UO one finish coat apart, then the final coats with
> everything but the bonnet installed. He claimed this provides better rust
> protection. Makes sense, don't know if it's correct.

                         ~snip~

Rob,

    This (James' method) is the way to go.  The back sides of the
panels should be painted to avoid rust, not just from  road salt,
but even from the condensation that occurs after you wash a car.
    The paint used should be all from the same batch, if possible.
It may require the purchase of a gallon and three quarts or so,
especially if you paint the floors, engine bay, and trunk, as well.
    The reason I am leaving the bonnet (hood)off my car when I paint
is so I can break off (masking) at the rain gutter in the engine bay.
The door jambs should be masked, and the doors shut, to protect them
from dusty overspray.
   Another reason for topcoating the car is for consistancy in the
texture (read: orange peel) of the surface.  This is of course if the
paint is not going to be  buffed smooth.  Also, if the car is topcoated
after assembly, there is no room for accidents to scratch the paint
while hanging the doors, trunk, etc. [except with me, only as I attach
my hood;-) ].

                             JOE IV
                             TR 250
                       WALLINGFORD, CT. USA