RE: TRIUMPH COLOR CODE

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TRIUMPH COLOR CODE
From: billsohl@planet.net (Bill Sohl)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 19:15:24 -0500
Cc: pym@abacom.com (Pierre-Yves Morissette)
Pierre-Yves wrote:
>        I was wondering,   my '72 spit has the color code 54.   It's
>currently a sun-fadded red.  But under this red coat,  I can find traces of
>yellow,    Could someone tell me what color it is supposed to be?

The color was called Safron Yellow.  It was a 1971 and 1972 color.

The DuPont paint codes for it are:
   35250A Enamel
   35250L Lacquer

Source of this data is the VTR magazine issue #33 (out-of-print).

As additional background for the way (a bit strange from
my perspective) of how Triumph color coded their colors
is that the two digit system they used used the SECOND digit
for the main color and the first digit to indicate the shadde.

Main color codes were:
1 - Black
2 - Red
3 - Brown
4 - Yellow
5 - Green
6 - Blue
7 - Maroon
8 - Grey
9 - white

Thus, code 54 (Saffron) and 34 (Jasmine) are both yellows,
but different shades of Yellow as used in 1971 and 72.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl   Budd Lake, NJ   billsohl@planet.net
----
Visit the Mount Olive Township Republican Party Home page at:
    http://www.cns-nj.com/mtolive