Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics

To: kengano@advant.com
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 16:54:31 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis6@juno.com>, kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 19 Jan 1997 kengano@advant.com wrote:

> my wrench (Mark Phelan VTR consultant) suggests doing hydraulics LAST as
> then seals, etc. will dry out rather quickly if not exposed to fluid right
> away.

Not to argue with a fellow VTR Vehicle Consultant, rather perhaps to
expand on or amend the advice he's given:

Seems to me that SOP on rebuilding hydraulic cylinders is to use
sufficient amounts of brake fluid as an assembly lube, whether or not
they're to be used immediately. In fact, over the years I've rebuilt any
number of cyliders, including some for "stock" that have sat around for
months or even years. All were fine upon actual use. It does help to seal
them, as in a "Zip-loc" [tm] bag or even wrapped in some sort of oil
cloth as they are or were at one time shipped from new.

--Andy