Re: Adding An Oil Pressure Gauge To 74 Spitfire

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: Adding An Oil Pressure Gauge To 74 Spitfire
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 20:29:16 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry H. Adams wrote:

> Next month I want to begin to restore the interior on my 74 Spitfire.  While
> I have the dash out I'm contemplating installing a Smith's mechanical oil
> pressure gauge in the area between the fuel and temp. gauges.

Barry,

  With the Spit I used to own, I was also disatisfied with the lack of
guages.  But I couldn't bear to bring myself to destroying that
beautiful
dashboard!  I have a suggestion for you (it is what I did with my '78).
Go to a local "Speed shop" and get youself one of those brackets for
holding the guage.  Since I was installing an ammeter on mine as well, I
got a two guage deal, but they make singles too.  These brackets come in
a tasteful semi-gloss black, as well as that garish chrome finish.
  I installed this bracket on the lower edge of the dashboard, between
the steering column and the center support (just in front of the ignit-
ion switch).  With a slight tilt of my head, I was able to read these
guages, and still managed to save that beautiful wood dash. The biggest
benifit of this arrangement is, that if I ever wanted to remove the
guage(s), I would be able to do so.

                              JOE IV
                              TR 250
                     WALLINGFORD, CT. USA