TR250 Restoration

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR250 Restoration
From: David Brady <dmb@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 10:54:04 -0800
Hi Folks,

I'm a new member to the list. Been involved in british
sports cars since about '76 when I bought my first, an
MGA. Since then I've mostly toyed with triumphs. At the
age of 16, the A just didn't have the get up and go I
wanted. The neighbor up the street had a TR250, and I
lusted after one ever since. I bought this car, CD8124,
from the original owner and I've owned it for 6 years.
Its in pretty decent shape but, being a NJ car, it has
a hole on the frame in the vicinity of the trailing
arm mount (sound familiar?) I can replace the frame segments
using components from Auto Rustech but am not sure that
I want to invest upwards of $1000 into this frame. Rustech
says its about an 8hr job. So, if I can, I'd prefer to
find a Western frame on which to start my restoration.
BTW, I only wanted to fix the rusted area, but this
escalated into a full body off restoration.  Being a
firm believer in rolling restorations, I'm determined
to get this car back on the road by summer. The body is
stripped, I'm having it sandblasted, and whatever holes
are present will be repaired before painting. The frame,
if I can find one will also be sandblasted, reinforced in
the appropriate areas, and then painted with hamerite (just
for kicks). I'll let British frame and engine sort the engine.
I'm in the market for an overdrive (the body is not going
back on until I get one.) And then nylatron bushings front
and back. I have th Koni tube shock conversion installed and
that will stay. IMHO, there's just no comparison between
lever-arm shocks and modern Nitrogen gas presurized fully
adjustable tube shocks (unsprung weight you say?) Have you
weighed the lower half of a tube shock recently. These things
dramatically improve the handling. Also, along with spring
rates you get to play with stylasto(sp?) bushings for bump
stops, very progressive and all the load is transmitted back
to the frame. Can't drive a lever arm car anymore. As you've
probably noticed, I'm not an originality purist (although
modifications should be easily reversible.) Tube shocks,
nylatrons, panasports with 205/60 RE71 tires, front and
rear sway bars, and lower and stiffer springs will transform
your IRS car. Anyway, enough ranting and raving. What I need
now is a frame. Any leads???

BTW, my 250 has the front upper suspension fulcrums mounted
with the long tabs facing the motor; that is, in the position
that would lead to more positive camber. And every 250 that I've
seen had a similar arrangement.

Dave Brady
dmb@cisco.com
Phone: (408)527-8205