RE: Postive Ground Stereo for MK 2 Spit

To: "Eric Straub" <ericst@MICROSOFT.com> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Postive Ground Stereo for MK 2 Spit
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 21 Jan 1997 11:40:04 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 162E032E51B94051-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 21 Jan 1997 11:40:04 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 21 Jan 1997 11:40:04 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <162E032E51B94051*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Eric Straub wrote:
Thanks.   I didn't want to get in the business of isolating the stereo
completely (eg
if I hook up a neg ground stereo, I'll need to ensure none of the grounded
parts of the body touch a grounded part of the spitfire).   BTW, If I do
isolate the stereo completely, why can't I just hook it up to (eg neg-neg
lead off ignition, pos to  body)? Why would I need a converter?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Eric - well, if you isolate the stereo by hooking the pos. and neg. leads
directly to the battery you can run a neg. ground stereo system.  A radio
designed with a neg. ground will not run if you try to run juice thru the
neg. lead and ground the pos. lead.

Most people want the radio wired thru the accessory circuit.  It you don't
mind the possiblity that you can run the battery down by leaving the radio
on, you can connect it direct to the battery.  Just make sure you use a good
quality fuse holder mounted very close to the battery to protect against
shorts downstream.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe (6 volt, neg. ground, I might add)