RE: Postive Ground Stereo for MK 2 Spit

To: Eric Straub <ericst@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: RE: Postive Ground Stereo for MK 2 Spit
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:57:16 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Eric Straub wrote:

> ...As for converting to neg ground, I guess I'm just too anal about
> staying
> original. I think it's kind of novel that the car pos ground - not too many
> of those out there these days! I don't know if I'll ever enter it in a
> concourse, but if I do, I believe that VTR at least doesn't knock off
> points for modern stereo.

FWIW, the VTR rule reads as follows:

     3.6 ASPECTS OF JUDGING: (See also the Concours Judging Form.)

          3.6.1 PERIOD ACCESSORIES: Accessories which were available to the
          owner during the period when the car was current shall not be a
          cause for a deduction and shall not be considered modifications.
          This includes modern radios if installed in a period mount.

So it's really a matter of how you mount it. If you have to cut into the
surround that supports the dash, you might be in trouble. You might also
be in for deductions if you were to use the "original" radio mounting
plate but had to significantly cut/reshape that. However, to some degree
these are judgement calls and only of concern with VTR-sanctioned events.

I have to agree, though, that reversing the car's polarity is probably the
easiest way to go. This, too, is totally reversible if you so desire some
time in the future, and it's probably a lot easier than trying to work
with inverters or limiting your sound options to NOS, used, or "retro"
equipment.

--Andy