Re: carpet

To: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: carpet
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 20:51:11 -0500 (EST)
 The original manufacturer for US spec cars was Magee Carpet mills in
Bloomsburg PA.  The original material was a 3/4 cut wool 'fabulon' with a
special reinforced hemp backing.  The carpet also appeared in the Dusenbergrs
cars which the owner Harry Magee bought in large numbers.  The pile was extra
rich.  Women who wore 3 inch spike heels reported that they could not see any
of the heel while seated in an early TR.    The dyes were special early
colorfast dyes made specially for the TR series.  They were water based dyes,
using the water from the adjacent Susquehanna River.  The rich mixture of
mine acid and effluent from adjoining communities imparted a ressistance to
fade unmatched to this day.  The carpets did produce a peculiar smell when
damp, which meant they smelled most fo the time.  IF you want to recreate
that original smell, slip a dead carp under your carpet, you'll think you're
back in the sixties !

REally, I have no idea what the correct answer is to your question, just
thought I'd have some fun.  Check with the Triump Register of America.  They
have a comprehensive Concourse and Judging manual which covers these
subjects.

I do hope you restore and drive one of the sportiest of the sports cars made,
 the legendary TR 3 !!

Bob Paul
Corrales N.M.
1959 TR3A