RE: Setting up a shop

To: "Eric Straub" <ericst@MICROSOFT.com> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Setting up a shop
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 24 Jan 1997 08:13:08 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0710032E8DF94005-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Jan 1997 08:13:08 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 24 Jan 1997 08:13:08 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0710032E8DF94005*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Eric Straub wrote:
I'm configuring a workshop for my restoration work (wife got tired of the
fumes coming in the house) and I'd like some feedback from the list. The
area I have to work with is 33x22 feet.
* Does anyone have experience with muffling an air compressor? I have a 6.5
HP 80 gallon compressor which works great except I feel bad running it
after 9pm (don't want to upset the neighbors).  I'm thinking of building
walls around it & piping the air in.  Ideas?
* Paint Area.  I want to have a paint area where I can paint parts & not
have to worry about the fumes in the other areas of the shop. I'm thinking
on building or purchasing a paint booth & wondering if anyone knows where
to get good information on this?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Eric - my neighbor built a really neat set up very similar to what you have
described.  He has an addition on the back of his garage about 15 by 20
feet.  He, too, has a big vertical 80 gal. compressor that he placed just
outside the back of the shop.  He ran a 220v electrical conduit with box
outthe wall and a 1/2 inch PVC pipe for the air supply.  He then built a
small shed out of 2x4s and 1/2 inch plywood that completely covers the
compressor, and stapled insulation on the inside to further muffle the
noise.  He then ran the PVC pipe along the entire interior perimeter of the
shop with several nipples so that he has an air source on every wall.  Works
great and looks neat!

He also has a huge bead blast cabinet just inside the shop and the vacuum
equipment is also mounted in the little shed outside, so that it stays nice
and quiet in the shop, and the sound level outside is quiet enough that he
can bead blast until the wee hours of the morning without disturbiing the
neighbors (who are literally 10 feet away).  No complaints yet.

As to painting, whenever he needs to paint some parts he takes plastic tarps
and staples them to the ceiling joists, so they hang down flush to the
floor.  He has a side door on the shop that he opens a bit, and places a
nice old box fan in front of, blowing out, which acts as an exhaust fan.  I
don't know if this is a viable option for you but I can tell you that I have
seen the results on several painting projects and it works terrific.
 Depending upon the type of painting you do, the paint usually is "dry" by
the time it hits the floor and thus can be swept up later.  My impression
(right or wrong) is that the real difference in a good paint job is the
quality of the paint, how it was applied and the color sanding afterward.
 I've seen professional painters working out of some pretty crappy and dirty
rooms with beautiful results so go figure.

All in all, it's a neat set up that I would kill for personally.  Hope this
helps.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe