Re: PDWAs and tandem master cylinders...

To: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PDWAs and tandem master cylinders...
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 08:28:10 -0800
I have come across two kinds of Girling dual master cylinders.  one type
has a mechanical connection between the two master cylinder pistons and
rely on the PDWA as a warning that one of your brake circuits is not
holding pressure.  The other type (The one in my Land Rover) does not have
a mechanical connection.  The front piston relys upon the pressure from the
rear to push it.  Without a PDWA if the circuit on your rear master
cylinder fail you do not have brakes.  This type master cylinder relys upon
the sliding piston in the PDWA to close off the rear circuit in case of
failure.  There are different kinds of PDWAS and they should be matched
with the master cylinder.

Make very very sure which type of gurling master cylinder you have before
even thinking about removing a PDWA.  On the other hand if you do, at worst
you end up with the same level of risk as us TR owners with single master
cylinders have.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com