Re: WAS Spit Brakes - Pressure differential valve NOW single

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: WAS Spit Brakes - Pressure differential valve NOW single
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 11:57:56 -0800
> the ŞBRAKEŞ light had been pulled from its red lens by the DPO and left to
> dangle behind the dash.  He did it, apparently, because the light is
constantly on, > even though the all brakes are working fine.   Who can tell
me how I ought to  > track down the reason for its activation??

What it sounds like, as has already been discussed on this subject is that
the previous owner had a failure that caused the shuttle to become off
center, indicating a failure.  Just simply fixing the problem and not
re-centering the shuttle would cause the symptoms you describe.  So, it
appears that you must re-center the shuttle.  Barring a shorted swith
contact inside the PWA itself  or some other electrical problem you must
detirmine which side was originally the failed side.  If you take the switch
itself out of the PWA you can look down inside and see which way the shuttle
has moved.  The side that the center section of the shuttle has moved to is
the 'failed' side.  Some members of the list have suggested or indicated
that you can lever the shuttle back into position with a small diameter
stiff rod.  The other way would be to hydraulic the shuttle back into
position by opening a small amount, a bleed screw on the 'un-failed' side
and carefully apply pressure until the shuttle snaps back into position.
Having never done either procedure I can't say how easy or difficult either
one would be.  Although any good repair manual should have a more detailed
description of the process.

There is also a good article on the VTR website about the PWA.

Hope that helps-

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+