Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?/Gearbox Swap

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?/Gearbox Swap
From: Scott Kohl <rpage@wvi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:34:26 +0000
Listers,

Is there anybody out there besides me who has never contemplated fitting
some other gearbox?  The PO of my GT6+ went through 7, and the Spit 1500
of a friend has chewed up 3.  He and I are currently developing a
TR7/TR8/SD1 etc. 5-speed conversion for both of our cars.  It is bolted
in to a test mule GT6 chassis, using a GT6 bellhousing, with a machined
adapter to fit the 5-speed welded to the back of it.  The two biggest
reasons for the choice of 'box were strength and commonality of parts.
Both the GT6 and TR7 clutches are 8.5 in., requiring only a different
clutch disc, and the clutch mechanism itself can be used without
modification. And the pilot bush/input shaft nose are the same size,
again no mods required.  The one thing that we will have to do is trim
the frame rails at the flattened gearbox mount area.  The shifter rail
will be shortened as much as possible, and will end up about an inch
further back.
If this conversion is successful, we will have the bellhousing cast
properly, then see if there is a TR6 owner willing to try the same
conversion.  There shouldn't be any trimming necessary for a TR.  Would
there, TR owners?
Scott Kohl
'69 GT6+
'63 Spitfire 4 (arriving soon)