Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?/Gearbox Swap

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?/Gearbox Swap
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:10:58 -0500
>Listers,
>
>Is there anybody out there besides me who has never contemplated fitting
>some other gearbox?  The PO of my GT6+ went through 7, and the Spit 1500
>of a friend has chewed up 3.  He and I are currently developing a
>TR7/TR8/SD1 etc. 5-speed conversion for both of our cars.  It is bolted
>in to a test mule GT6 chassis, using a GT6 bellhousing, with a machined
>adapter to fit the 5-speed welded to the back of it.  The two biggest
>reasons for the choice of 'box were strength and commonality of parts.
>Both the GT6 and TR7 clutches are 8.5 in., requiring only a different
>clutch disc, and the clutch mechanism itself can be used without
>modification. And the pilot bush/input shaft nose are the same size,
>again no mods required.  The one thing that we will have to do is trim
>the frame rails at the flattened gearbox mount area.  The shifter rail
>will be shortened as much as possible, and will end up about an inch
>further back.
>If this conversion is successful, we will have the bellhousing cast
>properly, then see if there is a TR6 owner willing to try the same
>conversion.  There shouldn't be any trimming necessary for a TR.  Would
>there, TR owners?
>Scott Kohl
>'69 GT6+
>'63 Spitfire 4 (arriving soon)

Very interesting........
I'm using a TR6 gear box in my Spit w/GT6 engine. Used TR6 engine plate,
flywheel, T/O bearing and clutch disk, and GT6 clutch plate, fork and
hydraulics. I needed to cut a small hole in the bellhousing for the fork to
protrude and make a steel flange for the slave cylinder. It works great and
the shift lever ends up in the same location as original(MoL). I think
others have done this too.?

Bill

mah16@cornell.edu