Re: spitfire jack

To: Ken Bertschy <kentop@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire jack
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:07:31 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Michael Galloway <mgx@icesar.epm.ornl.gov>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Ken Bertschy wrote:

> Maybe someone could come up with a
> hydraulically operated or air powered inside diameter micrometer that can
> skooch under the spit when it gets a flat and pump the car up far enough to
> get an inflated tire on the hub!

Well, way back when, some LBCs came with or could be equipped with what
was called (IMS) The "SMITHS Jack-all" (sp?) system. Similar in effect to
the jacking system that some race cars use for quick tire changes, etc., a
hydraulic pump would drive down four posts that could lift the corners of
the car. I remember seeing this many years ago on an MG "Y" saloon. I
don't remember a lot of other details.

--Andy