triumph horns

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: triumph horns
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 19:31:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott:

Looks like your DPO did a number on you! From the info you gave me, I am not
sure what to say. Can you provide the following additional information?

1) when you press the horn button, do the replacement horns work?
2) what color are the wires attached to the original horns? are they the
original wires?
3) identify for me, please, the color of each wire attached to the relay, and
tell me if they are original or additions by the DPO.
4) You said the "juiced" wire from W2 goes to the the replacement horns; is
this wire part of the original wiring harness, or is it an add-on?

With this additional info, maybe I can help.

In the meantime, maybe the following description of how relays work will be
helpful (if I am telling you something you already know, please forgive me).

The two terminals marked W1 and W2 are connected to a coil inside the relay.
When power is applied to these terminals, the coil is energized, and an
electromagnetic field is created, pulling an armature which closes the output
contacts. This terminals are completely interchangable - it does not matter
which one gets + 12V and which one is grounded.

The terminals marked C1, C2, C3, (and in some cases, C4) are tied to internal
switches. When no power is applied to W1/W2, the relay is de-energized, and
all of the C terminals are isolated from one another. When power is applied,
the relay is energized, and the C terminals are connected together inside the
relay. As you can see, these terminals are interchangable also. Just keep in
mind when the relay is off, these contacts are isolated from each other, and
when the relay is on, they are connected directly to each other. If you
connect power to one of them, using, say, a purple wire, power is applied to
all of them when the relay is on.

My suggestion for now is to remove all of the DPO added wiring, and rewire,
using the original wires, per the write-up I sent you.

As near as I have benn able to figure (and who can figure Triumphs), if the
car did not have overdrive, a horn relay was used, if it did have overdrive,
the OD relay replaced the horn relay, and the horn was operated directly from
the horn button. Can anyone shed some light on this?