Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 11:19:00 EST
Cc: matthews@sj.bigger.net, tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
...  I seem to recall that,Piggott, in his latest
> > book "Triumph by Name", related a  'story' that there was a huge field of
> > unsold TR3As  in England when the market went soft and production was high.
> >  Supposedly the cars were sold off slowly, mostly into the US one would
> > assume..  Perhaps TS71101L was one of these cars.  It is odd that a car
>would
> > go untitled for a year and a half after production though.

I guess all those "home market" TR3A's would have to be converted to
LHD before they were shipped to the USA....I would imagine that ST
would wait until they were sure that the cars wouldn't sell in
England before taking the expensive step of converting them to sell
in the US... I bet it wiped out most of the profit margin on each
one.

Perhaps this explains the delay...

I imagine a BMHIT cert would answer most of these questions...well
worth the $40 for a "birth certificate" for your car....
Chris Lillja
TR4A
Norton Commando
Spit MKIV