Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A

To: matthews@sj.bigger.net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:08:59 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net, Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
ALL;

I neglected to mention, but everyone has correctly assmed, that  TS71101L is
titled as a 1962 model year.  The title I got with the car is a California
title.  The PO purchased it in California from his PO in California.  I have
no record of where the car was originally sold, but California is high on the
list.

All  references I have agree with Andy's assessment that the car left the
 factory line in Fall 1960.  I seem to recall that,Piggott, in his latest
book "Triumph by Name", related a  'story' that there was a huge field of
unsold TR3As  in England when the market went soft and production was high.
 Supposedly the cars were sold off slowly, mostly into the US one would
assume..  Perhaps TS71101L was one of these cars.  It is odd that a car would
go untitled for a year and a half after production though.

I think I'll write to Piggott and register the car with the Triumph Register.
 I'll inquire as to his speculation about these dates, and order a build
record at the same time.

We now know that this extra VIN is not unique, although the only additional
report of the presence of a similar plate is on a TR4, so far at least.  I'm
guessing that the plate exists because of some peculiar, perhaps temporary
California regulation in the early 60's.??

Thanks for the replies. If I get in communication with Mr. Piggott, I will
report his response here.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM
TS71101L