Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A

To: EPaul21988@aol.com
Subject: Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:46:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: matthews@sj.bigger.net, tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net, Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:

> ALL;
>
> I neglected to mention, but everyone has correctly assmed, that  TS71101L is
> titled as a 1962 model year...
>
> All  references I have agree with Andy's assessment that the car left the
>  factory line in Fall 1960.  I seem to recall that,Piggott, in his latest
> book "Triumph by Name", related a  'story' that there was a huge field of
> unsold TR3As  in England when the market went soft and production was high.
>  Supposedly the cars were sold off slowly, mostly into the US one would
> assume..  Perhaps TS71101L was one of these cars.  It is odd that a car would
> go untitled for a year and a half after production though.

FWIW, TS71909L was built on 3/28/60. I'm the third (fourth? fifth?) owner
and I've had the car since 1971. It's always been registered as a 1960
model. Not that this information helps support anyone's theories,
including mine! :-)

> We now know that this extra VIN is not unique, although the only additional
> report of the presence of a similar plate is on a TR4, so far at least.  I'm
> guessing that the plate exists because of some peculiar, perhaps temporary
> California regulation in the early 60's.??

I've also seen or heard of these plates on Spitfires, Heralds and Sports
6 models!?

--Andy